I recently got my hands on a school provided iPad but without Apple TV and wifi I was forced to use a VGA cable to show my i Pad on the IWB however I found a solution in Airserver.
Airserver is an application that allows you to mirror your iPad to your IWB via a PC or Mac.
Even better it doesn’t require wifi as it can work with an Ad Hoc network set up on your PC.
In the picture I’m using my own laptop as the school laptops run Windows XP and Airserver needs Vista or later. The mirroring is happening over an Ad Hoc network as I don’t have wifi.
How to set it up:
1. Download Airserver on a free trial from their website.
2. You’ll be prompted to input your email address in the trial version. You need internet access for this. As I had none at school on my own laptop I set up a “Personal Network” on my iPhone and used it’s 3G connection to verify the install of Airserver.
3. Set up an Ad Hoc network on your laptop using this tutorial to help you
*IMPORTANT* The network must be “Open” i.e. no password or encryption.
3. Connect your PC and iPad to the Ad Hoc network
4. Double click the home button on your iPad and push the icons along the bottom to the right to reveal the airplay symbol.
5. Choose your laptop from the list and switch mirror on.
You are now free to walk around your room with you iPad displayed on your IWB.
This is a temporary fix until I get an Apple TV up and running but even though it’s a bit fiddly at times it beats being tethered by cable!